Discovering new music (with recommendations)
Written by James. Published on under the Music category.
The primary ways in which I discover new music are: (i) by looking for other songs written by artists who have written songs I like; (ii) looking for artists who have done collaborations with artists whose music I love and; (iii) using Spotify to look for songs that might interest me. Spotify shines when it plays a random song next. I tend to just scroll through lists of songs in playlists but when Spotify plays a song automatically I tend to find something new. This does not always work, but thus far I have found so many great songs by listening to Spotify. This list is not exhaustive but indicative of my primary ways of finding new songs and artists.
However, all of these methods of discovering music are quite introspective and personal. I want to open up my exposure to new music, especially new music in genres I like. Similarly, I want to share the names of artists who have produced music that I find amazing. Buying music from a band is a great way to support them but so too is just sharing their music. I want to share some bands that I enjoy.
Before I begin, I should tell you that I prefer indie and pop music. Everyone has different tastes in music but I hope that someone who reads this has a similar taste and can find value in the list I provide below. Conversely, if you don't know much about indie music, perhaps my list can inspire you to explore a new genre (who knows, maybe you will become an indie music lover?).
Here are some of the bands and artists whose music I am listening to right now:
- Of Monsters and Men (indie). I'd recommend checking out the album Beneath the Skin.
- Jon Batiste (jazz). Check out his album We Are for some terrific jazz music. "I Need You" is my favourite song by Jon Batiste right now.
- Paramore (indie). I am a big fan of their later music, especially their album After Laughter. I'm just starting to explore their earlier music.
- Charles Bradley (soul). I haven't listened to his music for a while but when I do I realise how passion can change a song. I'd recommend "Changes" or "The World is Going Up in Flames."
- The Revivalists (indie). I love most songs by The Revivalists. "Soulfight" and "Stand Up" are great songs to start listening to as they cover two different types of music that the band writes.
What bands are you listening to right now? What artists do you enjoy the most? I would love to know. I am planning to explore the music of Rudimental more soon, a collaborator in the song These Days and many other famous tunes with which you may be familiar, as well as Paramore's earlier music. What else should I explore? Maybe I should go back to listening to radio like I did last year to discover new tunes?
Tagged in music.
Read more content like this
Check out the other posts I have written related to this article.
- How I IndieWeb
- Adventures on the IndieWeb
- Coffee Chat with SOLO Coffee
- The Coffee Dictionary Book Review
- More testing with the Hario V60
Powered by Novacast
Comment on this post
Respond to this post by sending a Webmention.