- Scotland, United Kingdom
- Read as a Linux Manual page
wget https://jamesg.blog/assets/resume.man && man ./resume.man
I am a growth manager that has helped scale a small startup to millions of monthly visitors through writing, SEO optimization, and advising on strategy. In my spare time, I work on open-source software that helps me take control over my data.
Technical Marketer, Roboflow (October 2022 - Present)
- Contributed to the Roboflow blog, writing tutorials on computer vision deployment, building applications with our product, and more.
- Edited technical articles on topics from Transformers to Convolutional Neural Networks.
- Created open-source projects such as an interactive browser inference widget and a tool to draw polygons and retrieve coordinates.
- Contributed to autodistill (400+ stars), supervision (400+ stars), and notebooks (2k+ stars).
- Launched our Model Comparison directory and v2 of our Model Library.
- Launched our Templates directory.
Growth Product Manager, Career Karma (March 2021 - October 2022)
Strategy and conversions contributor tasked with helping Career Karma expand its SEO efforts.
- Contributed to a site-wide rearchitecture for our editorial content.
- Built a static version of our blog that generates 5000 posts in under three minutes. The site scores "green" on all Core Web Vitals.
- Collaborated with the growth engineering squad to plan and build our career directory product.
- Started and led the conversions optimization team.
- Used Jupyter Notebook, pandas, and matplotlib to analyse SEO trends.
- Maintained Jira process for new experiments.
- Advised and executed on site architecture changes.
- Led regular meetings with conversions team and 1:1 conversions.
- Our team's work resulted in a 15% month-over-month growth rate.
Technical Content Manager, Career Karma (July 2020 - March 2021)
Managed a team of technical writers to help reach a goal of one million monthly visitors to our web publication.
- Led weekly editorial sprint planning meetings.
- Provided feedback on technical content and provided recommendations for improvement.
- Set strategy for new topics and worked with other SEO team members to target keyword clusters.
Technical Writer, Career Karma (July 2019 - July 2020)
Our company SEO strategy was documented in a Foundation Inc blog post.
Attained the following Higher qualifications in high school:
- Computer Science
- Business Management
- Growth planning
- Technical writing
- Computer vision
- Web search
- Web crawling
- Static site generation
- Structured data (RSS, JSON-Feed, microformats)
- Technical SEO
- W3C Social Web Community Group - Co-chair - July 2023 - Present
- I am a co-chair on the W3C Social Web Community Group.
- Homebrew Website Club Europe / London
- I co-organise the Homebrew Website Club (HWC) meetup every weeks.
- This meetup is a place for anyone across the globe to come together and chat about the web, IndieWeb, taking control of one's data, and related topics.
- See HWC Europe / London website.
- IndieWeb Search
- A search engine that lets visitors navigate over 400,000 web pages made by IndieWeb community members.
- IndieWeb Utils
- Python library that provides high-level utilties useful for building IndieWeb applications.
- Webmention Receiver
- A Webmention receiver built with Python Flask, compliant with the W3C Webmention specification.
- Micropub Client and Server
- A Micropub client and server built with Python Flask, compliant with the W3C Micropub specification.
- IndieAuth Server
- An authentication and authorization endpoint compliant with the W3C IndieAuth specification.
- Microsub Client and Server
- A feed reader application that can parse multiple types of feeds.
- WebSub Server
- A WebSub server that sends notifications to subscribers when new content is posted. Compliant with the WebSub W3C specification.
- Contributed to sites run by MDN, AfroTech, Repl.it, Barista Magazine, Coffee People, Codecademy, Sprudge and Steampunk Coffee. View all my writing.
More projects on which I have worked are listed on my Projects page.
Go Back to the Top